Arc’s Poet-in-Residence (PIR) program offers our country-wide community of writers the chance to participate in virtual mentorships with an influential Canadian poet. Between 30 and 60 poets participate yearly, in roughly one-month-long mentorships. The Poet-in-Residence is also commissioned to create new work for publication in an issue of Arc Poetry Magazine. The 2022/2023 program year goes from November 1, 2022 to July 31, 2023.
Please Note: this project is pending funding and subject to change. Arc Poetry Magazine reserves the right to cancel or modify this program without further notice.
- The PIR will not be required to relocate during the nine-month residency; however, up to one week of travel and readings are required of the PIR, to promote the launch of a related issue of Arc Poetry Magazine;
- The PIR having regular access to e-mail and online communication platforms will be essential for the mentorship portion of this virtual residency;
- The PIR will provide a minimum of ten hours of mentoring per month of the residency, working with a minimum of ten participants per month;
- Tailored mentoring will include written assessments of approximately 250 words, a tailored recommended reading list, and phone and/or e-mail consultation with participants where necessary;
- The PIR will undertake to clarify with each participant in the program that the opinions are those of the PIR and not those of the Arc Poetry Society or of Arc Poetry Magazine;
- In order to prepare a thorough mentoring statement, the PIR may request a larger sampling of a participant’s work where necessary;
- The PIR will be an “ambassador” for Arc for the term of their residency, and will include their status as such in their bios and profiles;
- The PIR will create ten to fifteen printed pages of original work for publication in a related issue of Arc Poetry Magazine; and,
- The PIR will recommend, based on the PIR’s sole analysis, a selection of a participant’s work for possible publication in Arc Poetry Magazine.
The contract fee for the PIR will be $9,000, pending funding. Payment schedule is negotiable. Standard writer’s fee rates will apply for publications in Arc.
How to Apply
Application packages should be sent via email to Arc’s Managing Editor Chris Johnson (he/they) at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Application packages must be received by 11:59pm EST on May 31st, 2022.
We encourage candidates contact email@example.com regarding assistance that we can provide to individuals with disabilities who may have difficulty putting together an application package.