Poem of the Year — deadline extended until February 15th!
Deadline: February 15, 2019
Deadline: February 1, 2019
ad made with (CC) images The Poker Players by fugue and Texas Hold’em? by meddygarnet.
Arc will remain open for submissions to our annual Poem of the Year Contest for an extra two weeks! Entries must be postmarked or emailed no later than 11:59 pm on February 15, 2019 to be considered for our 2019 grand prize.
Arc’s annual poetry contest is among the richest in the country, offering $5,000 for the winning poem, a $500 award for the poem selected as Honourable Mention, and a $250 prize for the Readers’ Choice selection. In addition, all shortlisted poems receive paid publication in Arc and online.
Arc’s Poem of the Year contest started in 1995 and attracts submissions from around the world. Previous winners have included Kayla Czaga, Patricia Young, Shane Neilson, Jacob MacArthur Mooney, Doyali Islam and many others.
Arc encourages online entries, but will continue to accept mail submissions for the current year.
The entry fee is $35 CDN, and includes a one-year Canadian subscription of Arc*
Contest entry fees may be paid online or by cheque or money order mailed with your hard copy contest submissions.
*or two issues to US entrants, or one issue to overseas entrants. Entrants who are currently subscribers may pass along their contest subscription or complimentary issues to a friend. Please include the name and address to which the contest subscription is destined.
- Arc welcomes Poem of the Year entries from Canada, the United States, and around the world. Entrants outside Canada must submit entry fees in Canadian funds. Please use the online payment option or mail a cheque or money order in Canadian funds.
- Entrants may submit up to two unpublished poems with each $35 fee (extra poems: $5 per poem). Enter before January 1st and submit an extra poem at no charge: Early Bird entries may include up to 3 unpublished poems.
- The length of each poem must not exceed 100 lines.
- Entrant’s name, address, e-mail and phone number must not appear on the poems, but instead on a separate sheet that also lists the titles of the poems entered or in the body of the submission email.
- Judging is blind.
- No entrants (including winners, honourable mentions, or authors of shortlisted poems) may substitute, before, during, or after judging, a revision of any poem already submitted to the contest.
- No poems will be returned.
Deadline: Entries must be postmarked or emailed no later than 11:59 pm,
February 1, 2019 February 15, 2019.
Early Bird Deadline: Entries emailed or postmarked no later than 11:59 pm, December 31, 2018 may consist of 3 poems for a single entry fee. For entries emailed or postmarked after this date, only the first two poems will be considered.
Shortlist: A shortlist of 10 to 12 poems, selected by Arc’s editorial board, will be eligible for the Readers’ Choice Award. Visit us in March to read our shortlist selections and cast your vote!
Publication: All shortlisted poems will receive paid publication in an upcoming issue of Arc and on the Arc website.
Privacy Notice: Unless you indicate otherwise, Arc may share addresses of entrants to the 2017 Poem of the Year Contest with similar literary magazines or related organizations for promotional purposes.
Please email entries to firstname.lastname@example.org
or mail you entry to:
Poem of the Year Contest
Arc Poetry Magazine
PO Box 81060
Canada, K1P 1B1
Each entry entitles the entrant to a one-year subscription of Arc and the submission of 1-2 poems. Additional submissions may be purchased.
Early Bird entries may include up to 3 unpublished poems.