New Job Postings – Managing Editor and Administrative Assistant
Arc Poetry Magazine is currently seeking qualified candidates to fill these two positions, which will begin as soon as possible in January, 2012:
Reporting to the Board of Directors, the Managing Editor will manage the operations of the Arc Poetry Society and Arc Poetry Magazine in co-operation with the Editor and the Board, including the following duties:
- Provide input and support for the implementation of a marketing plan specific to the small circulation literary magazine
- Provide input and support for the implementation of a circulation management plan and subscriber liaison and services
- Implement promotional plans and related campaigns using direct mail, online communication services, social media and networking, and any other relevant resources
- Create, monitor and maintain ongoing campaign reporting templates
- Oversee magazine circulation, including management of pertinent contractors and staff, to ensure fulfillment, circulation, database maintenance, stationary preparation and maintenance, and regular renewal and direct-mail initiatives
- Work with Magazines Canada as the Arc distributor to oversee newsstand sales and special campaigns
- Oversee fundraising activities; in consultation with the Editor, research fundraising opportunities and write grant applications; provide support to the implementation of a fundraising strategy
- Generate ad revenue and coordinate advertising including soliciting, design or contracting thereof, placement and invoicing; liaison with all advertisers
- Liaise between the Bookkeeper and the Editor to oversee accounts and annual budgets, administrate contracts and payments to print and web contributors, permission holders and editorial honoraria
- In collaboration with Editor and Board members, make updates to the Arc website and social media
- In collaboration with the Art Director, coordinate printing
- Provide proofreading and other production-related support
- Liaison with contributors, contest entrants,grants applicants, judges, and award recipients in consultation with the Editor and the Board
- Attend, and a table a report summarizing activities, at each business meeting of the Board of Directors
- Liaison with bookkeeper and participation in annual audit
- Fulfill all reporting requirements as per funding partners or licensees
- And provide support to the Editor and Board of Directors as necessary.
Hours of Work
- The above will be done on the basis of an annual calendar/workplan as agreed with the Board of Directors.
- The M.E. will work an average of 18 hours per week. Scheduling these hours will be at the discretion of the M.E. in consultation with the Board, Editor and Admin. Assistant.
- The average is expected to be 18 hours per week, but work will vary according to busy times of the year. In 2012, this is expected to be as follows:
January to March: 22 hours per week
April to June: 14 hours per week
July and August: 10 hours per week
September to December: 20 hours per week
This is a contract position and is paid $20,000/year based on the above hours ($23/hour).
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in management, in marketing/fundraising initiatives, including successful grant-writing, and in leadership positions that require superior communication skills. The candidate must be self-motivated and have a proven track record of meeting deadlines with excellent deliverables. The candidate must be able and willing to work in both virtual and physical office settings.
To apply, please send cover letter and CV in Word format via email to email@example.com no later than 4 pm, Friday, December 23.
Reporting to the Managing Editor, the Admin Assistant will perform the following tasks:
- Receive and process Arc mail, including but not limited to the following items:
Paper Submissions (fews)
Mail related to funders
Writers Reserve requests
- Preparing and mailing issue and subscription requests and liaison with bookkeeper
- Response to email inquiries
- Preparation of regular email newsletter
- Intake, assignment and tracking of submissions in support of the work of the Editorial Board and processing rejection notices
as per the instructions of the Editor, via the online submissions software
- Maintain Arc’s circulation database, prepare circulation database for issue fulfillment
- Data entry of contest entries and liaison with bookkeeper re: contest fee payments
- Circulate review books to reviewers based on instructions from Reviews Editor
- Maintain stationery for mailing house, bookkeeper, Managing Editor and Editor
- Provide occasional other administrative support to the Board, Editor and Managing Editor as required.
This is a contract position and is paid for 12 hours per week at a rate of $15/hour (approx. $9,360/year).
The ideal candidate will have a strong background in providing administrative assistant services and superior business communications skills. The candidate will be detail oriented, self-motivated, able to demonstrate initiative and have advanced interpersonal relationship skills. The candidate must be comfortable working in both virtual and physical office settings.
To apply, please send cover letter and resume in Word format via email to firstname.lastname@example.org no later than 4 pm, Friday, December 23.